Pages

Friday, January 17, 2014

A Little Bit of Extra Love: Paper Hearts Garland

Last night as I was completing my nightly ritual of laying in bed, browsing through all of my social media outlets I came across the most touching blog post. Melissa from The Happier Homemaker posted a really cute paper heart garland that she made for a special little girl. I clicked on her link to the most heartbreaking story about a girl named Lucy. As soon as I began reading the posts of this child's mother I was flooded with tears. Lucy is five years old and has Mitochondrial Disease, which is a progressive degenerative disease of energy metabolism. Many people have asked what they can do to help and the Marlett family has one request:

Send Lucy as much love as possible!

They want to fill Lucy's room with all the hearts and cards and love they can get. I was so compelled to do my part for this family because as a mother myself I could never imagine having to endure what this family is going through. The immense courage they have really left an impression on my heart. Her mother writes the blog, All The Marletts, which is where you can read more about Lucy, her disease and the special request that this family has for her last weeks here with them.



McKenzie and I decided to make a paper heart garland as well. I had a plastic bin in the closet full of random scrapbook paper. McKenzie really wanted to participate in this project so I let her pick out all the paper that she wanted to use. After she had gone through the entire bin, I got out the Cricut and started cutting out all the hearts. I did 4 - 4" hearts per sheet. {We wanted a lot of hearts and McKenzie wanted a garland for her room too!}


After all the hearts were cut out, I just fed them one by one through the sewing machine.

Easy-Peasy!!


{If you decide to make your own garland don't forget to leave extra thread at each end for hanging.}

I hope we can put a smile on little Lucy's face when she opens our package. If you would like to send her a little bit of extra love send it here:

Nemours A. I. DuPont Hospital for Children
℅ Lucy Marlett Room 3708
1600 Rockland Road
Wilmington, DE 19803 








2 comments:

  1. What a sweet gift you're giving! Bravo!!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a lovely comment. :) Have a beautiful day.
    Jeannine @ The Concrete Cottage

    ReplyDelete